I am so proud of myself this week, because I finally crocheted something! I found the greatest instructions here for learning how to crochet a granny square, so yesterday I sat down and watched these videos over and over again until I figured it out, and now I think I can almost do it without the instructions in front of me (almost). The hardest thing I find is keeping track of where I’m up to, with distractions all around constantly, but I think as I get better at it I will be able to see where I’m up to. These are my two itty bitty practice granny squares:
Now that I know I am capable of crocheting (because I really was starting to lose hope), I think I will try a different granny square tutorial that I found here. I would LOVE to be able to make a whole granny square blanket for my little man. When (or if) he gets his own room, the colours scheme is going to be blue and brown, so I want to make a blanket for his bed in those colours, similar to this, but imagine the stripes as rows of granny squares:
Last week I made a couple of things to give to a little miss 3 next weekend for her birthday.
But then I felt like she needed something else, so I spent a few days throwing ideas at hubby, who is her teacher at daycare so knows her a lot better than I do. Well, I went through LOTS of ideas, before I came across one he liked. I had seen this tutorial a while back and thought one day I might make that for my kids, so it was added to my mental to-do list. I altered it a bit, switching things around so the magnets are inside the fish and the washer is the “bait”. I also had to hand sew because I am still without a sewing machine, so I blanket stitched all around the outside, which was way easier because I didn’t have to turn them.
I just love this fishing set, and so does my daughter. I think I will have to make more and give them to every child I know, but that will have to wait until I have a sewing machine to speed up production. Now that I have made them, Hubby has changed his mind and wants me to make her a fabric book cover, but that will only be happening if I get my sewing machine before the weekend, and because it is coming from Spotlight that is highly unlikely.
These are the flowers I made using the knitting needles bought from a thrift store in the weekend. I have only made 5 so far, so they don’t really make a nice “bunch” yet, but I plan to make more. I decided to go with a neutral linen fabric, because there is plenty of colour in the needle stems, felt bottoms and button middles.