BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 16, 2012

Child's Baby Doll Sling - A Mini Tutorial

Today little princess asked me to make her something, and I was a bit shocked that I hadn't already thought to make her one before. She goes through phases of playing with baby dolls then barbie dolls, and for quite a while it has been all about the barbie dolls. But today she was playing with her baby doll stuff, and NEEDED a sling to carry her baby while they were shopping. I am more than happy to make her something that encourages imaginitive play, and will keep her occupied for more than 5 minutes, so I set to it. I knew it had to be a quick project, because if I took too long she would lose interest while waiting, so I came up with a 5 minute baby doll sling. I am sharing it in case there are other mums out there reading this, in need of something quick to occupy bored children.

 1. Cut a piece of fabric 105 x 50 cm.
 2. Fold in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew along the open long side.
 3. Turn fabric tube right side out. Feel free to iron at this point, and you could even top stitch along the long sides (with an impatient 4 year old standing at my side the whole time, I kinda had to leave out these steps).
 4. On one end, fold the sides of the tube in so they meet in the middle, pin in place.
 5. On the other end of the tube, fold in the raw edges about 1cm.
 6. Place the folded end inside the open end so that they overlap by a couple of cm.
 7. Fold the sides under and pin.
8. This is what it should look like underneath. Sew a couple of times across the overlapping part.

9. Put it over your little prince or princess's shoulder, add a baby doll (or a bright blue doll called Ponyo) and watch hours of happy family imaginative play :)

3 comments:

Megan said...

Thats awesome! and I so understand about sewing something while they stand there waiting for it- puts the pressure on thats for sure!!

Mummyzilla said...

I'm having a giveaway, I'm passing on the lovely push pins that I won in your giveaway. Its here: http://mummyzilla.blogspot.com/2012/01/7-pass-something-on.html

Unknown said...

Oh I love you! I have been looking everywhere for a quick tutorial like this for this exact same thing. And ta~da! Herre it is! Thank you thank you! And can you guess what I am doing today?

Post a Comment