BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 29, 2010

This is my week

I really am terrible at remembering to take photos. I generally carry my camera around in my handbag all the time, but I just forget to use it. I am not one of those people who takes a million photos of their kids, but sometimes I wish I was.

So, I don’t have anything to show for my little road trip to Napier, except a few things from spotlight, including a bias tape maker, pinking shears, a book of things to make with circle looms and some crochet hooks. Besides going to spotlight, nothing much else blog-worthy happened, but it’s worth mentioning that the Taradale McDonalds has an awesome indoor playground for kids, and pretty good coffee too.

As far as projects go, I have started a few things, including repurposing a t-shirt into a ukulele case.

tshirt It was a project that I really didn’t want to do, but I was begged. With my very basic sewing experience and technical knowledge I thought the process would be near impossible. As it turns out, it wasn’t too hard, and it is almost complete, just needs some hand sewing to finish it, but it is far from perfect. The photos were taken with the idea that I might be able to do a tutorial, but then we went off on a tangent and changed our original design ideas and forgot to keep taking photos.

I have also started making a t-shirt dress for little princess, but she was not co-operating when I wanted to try it on her tonight, so I gave up.

I’m still working on the crochet blanket for little princess, but I am stuck on what to do with little man’s blanket, because I can’t get any more of the same wool, so I think I will need to unravel the whole thing and start again but try to make it go further somehow, maybe add another colour or use a bigger hook??

Today we tagged along to Grindz Cafe, which is a pretty awesome cafe in Tauranga. I’ve been there a few times before, but they have made some improvements since I was last there, or I just didn’t notice before. They have a playroom full of toys for the kids, heaps of different areas to sit, great food, and the whole place is full of vintage goodies. We sat in the back room, which was pretty private and quiet, away from the noise of the very busy cafe. I remembered I had my camera, so took a few photos of the vintage goodies that surrounded our table. Unfortunately the lighting wasn’t good for photography, so the photos aren’t great.

P7290042 A collection of vintage tins, shoes and things.

P7290045A bookcase full of vintage books and a vintage radio.

P7290043Another vintage radio, and check out that cute snow white tin on top, I want it!

P7290044This one is really hard to see because of the light from the window behind, but it was a collection of vintage cases, typewriters and sewing machines. I loved the way they were grouped together, it just looked so right.

In case you can’t tell from the above, I am suffering from a slight case of thrift withdrawal. I haven’t been to a thrift store in weeks (ok, probably only 2 weeks, but it feels like forever), and to make matters worse I won’t get to visit funky junk this week either. I just have to keep telling myself I don’t need more stuff, I need to use what I have first, bla bla bla.   

This week should have been my first week of having full days to myself, but little princess is sick, so am I, so she has been home and we have just been trying to rest and get better before next week when I am supposed to be working. Only two days, but I can’t say I am really looking forward to it, except that it gets very quiet sometimes so if I run out of work to do I can sit and crochet. Getting paid to crochet is pretty awesome, right?? Well, hopefully I can get away with it without getting too many strange looks or comments from the staff and customers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment